Friday, April 15, 2011

Viernes de Dolores

Tonight I will be missing Viernes de Dolores in my Colonia in San Miguel. Many homes will build an altar around an image of the Virgen and they will open their door to those who would like to share this night. The night commemorates the sorrow of Mary but you can not visit these altars without remembering the sorrow of all mothers who have lived through losing a child, even a grown child, or having to watch them stray off the right path.

If you wish you can read more about this beautiful night. I've blogged about Viernes de Dolores before here and here and here.

This image was made last year. I had just made another image of this altar without any people in it. Then I saw the shoe on the left and the little boy walked into the right-hand side. I hit the shutter button. What I had not seen until I downloaded the file was the little face looking under the curtain on the left. At first I thought that the image without the boy was the best of the two but one of the things that photographers find is that it is a good thing to give some time between making images and choosing and finishing images. Now I think this is the better image. I've printed this image large on 17x22 paper. You really see a lot more in the print than you do on the monitor.

8 comments:

Joan said...

This is just what I needed to read today. I was checking the Oaxacan newspapers this morning and each had articles about Viernes de Dolores. They sprout chia. I don't know if it is in place of sprouting wheat or in addition.

I love the customs of Mexico!

Jonna said...

I love that image. It has the life and the commonness that religious holidays have here along with the solemnity and the intense belief. That combination of practical and solemn is what I love most.

Billie Mercer said...

Joan, I too love the customs of Mexico. They keep me on my toes trying to figure them out.

Jonna, thank you. I always say that I photograph the common place and Mexico's commonplace sometimes seems rather exotic to someone who doesn't live here. But it is intense and personal and very family oriented.

GlorV1 said...

Beautiful image Billie. Have a great weekend.

pitchertaker said...

The process of making a photograph is very complicated and intense. What we see subconsciously always amazing in the light of a new day. Maybe if we had bigger monitors that could show all the detail of a 17x22" print....one that people like you and me could afford.

Billie Mercer said...

I dream about that BIG monitor

1st Mate said...

Wonderful picture, so much going on in it. I like the little face peeking under the curtain. I didn't know (after 5 years in MX!) that altars were made for this day.

Babs said...

Precioso.........I didn't get out to see the altars this year. Darn. But, I saw the Palm Sunday parade this morning.
Muy bonito.....