Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Lowly Chicken

In the last week we have had chicken, chicken and chicken. Each way was different enough that I don't feel "over-chickened."

I bought two smaller chickens at my favorite tienda in the San Juan de Dios Mercado and had them cut to my specifications.

One night we had friends over for dinner and  I made Pechuga ala Parillia, which is chicken breasts marinated in  lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, herb mixture and then grilled. Served it along with grilled veggies and a green bean and cherry tomato salad. That took care of the top half of the chicken.

Another night we had the legs, thighs and wings cooked with a recipe from Fine Cooking Magazine, Pan Roasted Chicken with Olives and Lemon. The olives and lemon give a nice flavor burst but they are not over-powering.

And another night we had a chicken recipe that I haven't used in about two years. Why? I don't know why because it is really delicious. I had some chicken thighs and I deboned them and made another recipe from Fine Cooking, Grilled Five-Spice Chicken Thighs with Soy Vinegar Sauce. According to Rhonda Parkinson about the five-spice powder  there is some thought that the Chinese were attempting to produce a "wonder powder" encompassing all of the five elements. All of the five flavors - sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, and salty - are found in five-spice powder. The five spice powder is a rub for the chicken before it is grilled. The soy vinegar sauce has red pepper flakes in it and it adds a nice kick to the chicken when it is served. I think you could make these and cut the boneless thighs into four pieces and serve them with toothpicks as a great party appetizer.

Our local beef isn't the same quality as we find in Texas. The exception to that is that the filete de res is usually very good. Most of the time it is the same with the pork. I can find good  fish and shrimp at the Tuesday Tianguis. At least I have been able to up until now. Who knows what will happen with the fish supply now with the oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico.

 I'm glad that the lowly chicken lends itself to so many flavors because we may be eating more of it or going vegetarian.

2 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

There is never too much chicken. It is what keeps my tongue alive in Mexico.

Heather said...

Thanks, you just reminded me to take the chicken out of the freezer for dinner tonight!