Monday, October 10, 2005

Walk, Stop, Look

Ever since my sister-in-law fell the first day of her visit to us in San Miguel a number of years ago, I warn visitors to watch where they are walking. The uneven sidewalks and cobblestone streets demand your attention. So if you want to look at the gorgeous colonial buildings or the colorful bougainvillea, STOP walking and look because if you keep walking and you aren't watching your step it is really easy to fall. I really should take my own advice.

Last Friday, Michael and Jean wanted to show us their new casita which was just completed. They live next door and plan to rent the casita. The outside is a rosy terracotta with old green doors....gorgeous colors. We opened the door and I stepped down into the house (You have to step down into a lot of Mexican houses) and I was looking at the playful use of color. The next thing I knew, I was on my knees. The house had TWO steps down instead of one. I really should follow my own advice and watch where I'm walking and then STOP to look.

I survived pretty well. A sore toe and a couple of scrapes on the knees but for several days I've found little aches and pains here and there as these old bones settle back to where they belong.

WALK, STOP, LOOK.....I gotta remember that.

No comments: