Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Memories Are Still There

I know it has been a while since I've written but we have been busy. We managed to get in another trip to Port Aransas. Remember I started writing about my photography project in Port Aransas last March. I thought I'd get to go back sooner to work on it but other things interrupted. Nevertheless, it is still my project . . . and it still has a lot of work to be done. We tried to time our trip so that we would have good weather or at least weather good enough so I could shoot some of the things on my list.

Weather is a factor when you are working on a project that is outside but there are a lot of other factors as well. I was going to write something about them today but I read Howard Grill's blog entry from today, The Hardest Thing I Have Done Photographically. Howard listed all the things I was thinking about writing plus a few others. So now I don't need to write about all of them. Just go read Howard's entry.

This photograph was made on the walk to the beach from the place we went many times during the 70's and 80's with the kids. We would go down every summer for a week and rent a condo. The condos were a good walk to the beach over a plank walkway that was raised above a marshy area on the backside of the dunes. And then when you got to the dunes the path up the dunes was sand. I loved how the sparkling water appeared as you went up the dune and when you reached the crest you could look up and down the great expanse of beach. This is the first time we have gone to these condos since the 80's and walked this trail. It was such a strange feeling. The raised wooden planks have been replaced with a raised concrete walk that gradually gets buried in the shifting sand dunes. The condos are painted a different color. Some things have changed but the beach and the memories are still there.

1 comment:

alcuban said...

I read the blog you refer to and he's right about all the difficulties of putting together a photo project. The most difficult, however, has to be the editing: Of five images, which one is really the outstanding one? Otherwise you end up with one of those old-fashioned slide shows we've all suffered (or slept) through.

al