Friday, May 13, 2011

Taking Care of the Flock

We have been taking care of two of our grandsons. Even though they are big kids, 15 and 11 (almost 12) it is a big job . . . even intense at times . . . because everything is compressed into before and after school. They go in different directions, have different eating schedules, and a maze of carpools. Their Mom wrote me out a schedule before she left. It was two pages long and then it had addendums of emails and phone calls as schedules changed because of the weather. Betsy has said that she NEEDS her phone with a calendar to keep up with the constant changes. She is right. Anyone doing this parenting job needs the latest technology and a degree in Logistics.

So far, we have managed to get the boys out of bed, fed, carpooled, homework done and back in bed for three days. No problems. But I think they have been on their best behavior for us.

The image was made in Port Aransas in a wild life refuge in the marshes near the Intercoastal Waterway. I got up at 6:30 AM and headed to the refuge. For a while I was the only one there. I knew that if I were really there to photograph the birds like a serious wildlife photographer I needed a tripod and flash but I didn't bring that along. I just wanted to see what it was like. The morning was gray and very windy but that didn't keep me from playing with different settings on the camera. I think this is the only one I like out of about 50 images I shot. But one out of 50 isn't a bad average for me.

5 comments:

Babs said...

lovE the image!
I know what you mean about the "logistics" thing with the kids. When I kept the 5 for a week, I had TWO poster boards on the wall to check off each day and item - I was so darn afraid I'd forget a kid somewhere. Lordy I loved doing it but was I glad that we all survived that "adventure".......
I'm back from the beach - it was cooler there!

Bob Mrotek said...

Billie,
I know how to get real close to those birds. I used to go down to Galveston whenever I could when I was visiting Houston and I would go out on the deck of one of the restaurants along the sea wall and order a plate of crawdads. Those darn birds would steal the food right off your plate if you weren't careful :)

Nancy said...

The logistics thing is something I'm aware of when we visit our grandkids, too. I think the more suburban lives people live involve way too much driving!

I was raised in the city and that's where I raised my kids so most activities were within a decent walking radius of home or easily reached by transit.

I'm so glad I'm not raising kids now! Kudos to you guys!

The birds are wonderful, Billie.

Heather said...

Yes, I have a phone with a calendar on it. I love my Cozi calendar online !!!! It's the only way I can keep up with things. I'm sure it's tiring taking care of two older boys, but i'm sure it is very rewarding as well getting to spend time with them. I know Phoebe loves to talk to me in the car when I'm taking her places.

debbie said...

Braving the elements at 6:30 in the am to capture the antics of seagulls sounds like a picnic compared to the whirlwind schedules of your grandchildren. Still, I'm envious. Lucky you!