Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mexico in the New York Times

I can't reconcile what I read in the USA papers about Mexico with what I see here everyday. Oh, I believe that there is a horrible war going on between the cartels competing for drug routes and between the military and police against the cartels. I believe that innocent people have been hurt and will be hurt. But the newspaper articles make it appear that the whole country is in total chaos. So it was refreshing to read this op-ed piece in the New York Times. It doesn't say things are perfect but it does give some perspective.

There are a lot of ex-pat bloggers here in Mexico. So if you want to know the whole truth about Mexico take a look at this collection of what we are writing on The Truth About Mexico. Get some perspective on the issues.

3 comments:

Joan said...

I am getting so tired of mis-informed people spreading the word that Mexico is dangerous and that you shouldn't travel there. Last Friday a woman getting her nails done was loudly announcing that no one was to go to Mexico per the State Department. Just this morning my doorman said, you aren't going to Mexico any more are you? Neither had their facts correct. Mexico has an uphill battle to change this misperception.

Heather said...

I've been confused when I see the reports too. I think this has to do with the sensationalism of journalism these days. I haven't even ever been to Mexico (yet!) but I've been thinking that defining a whole country by a few areas that are having drug issues is like comparing our whole country to the news from our inner city issues. Am I correct?

billow said...

Just returned from Zacatecas and Aguascalientes and had a wonderful time! We're looking forward to going again.