Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Will It Be On Time?

I may have posted this picture before but I have some news about this image. I entered the Members Only competition for the Texas Photographic Society. The group may be called "Texas" but in reality it has members from all over the USA as well as some foreign countries. They had about 1200 entries for the competition and Keith Carter was the juror.

I haven't entered any competitions for a while but Carter is one of my favorite photographers. I hear he is also a inspirational teacher and workshop leader. One of these days I'm going to take a workshop with Carter. At any rate I thought I would feel quite honored if Carter chose one of my images for this show. I entered 10 images from my Holga shooting in 2007. I don't know why he chose this one which seems so much like a formal portrait to me. I would have thought he might choose one with a little more ambiguity. Maybe I'll get to talk to him about it if we are in Texas when the show opens.

This is all good news to get into the show but getting it to Texas from Mexico on schedule during the holidays is turning out to be a bit difficult. Although we have mail services that take "mail" to the border almost everyday they don't do that with packages. It could take two weeks before it gets across the border. I had about decided that we would just have to carry it on the airplane when we go to Texas but the matted print sandwiched in protective corrugated board will be about 18x22x3. Not sure that it will fit in the overhead bin and besides there is the aggravation of carrying the piece around airports and car rental agencies along with luggage. Today I think I have a solution. I found a business that tells me that they will put it on UPS and have it there in three business days for a price that is a little spendy. Hopefully a "photograph" will not have any trouble with customs going into the USA and the picture will arrive on time.......Hopefully.

10 comments:

Tom said...

Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you! It is a lovely photo, and yes, a bit formal, but I think it's the girls expression that sells it. Is she happy, mischevous, a bit embarrased about the camera pointing at her.
There is also the counterpoint of sharp/fuzzy, formal/informal, ... Lots of things to like!
Debi

Heather said...

Good luck with the competition!!!! I love this pic. Phoebe is getting her First Communion this year and she'll be wearing a dress that was made by her grandmother around 30 years ago. All of my husband's sisters wore it and all but one of her girl cousins have worn it for theirs. Hopefully I can take a picture that will do her and the dress justice.

Steve Cotton said...

There is far too much soul in your photograph for it to be limited with the label -- formal portrait. I suspect that is exactly what Keith Carter saw. That young lady is going to be the master of many fates.

Carlos Ponce-Meléndez said...

I like the picture. As Tom and Debi said the girl has a happy mix of mischevous and holliness in her face. You need to give credit to her too.

Billie Mercer said...

Thanks to all of you. I have to admit that I'm happy to be in the show....whatever the reason.

Billie Mercer said...

Carlos, you are absolutely right. This girl shared a piece of herself with me and my camera and I do thank her for allowing me to make the image.

Jonna said...

I love the look on her face, she has what my mom would have called 'spunk'. It's a wonderful picture Billie and definitely worth a place in the exhibition. Congratulations!

Islagringo said...

First off, beautiful photo and deserving of being picked.

I send and receive packages all the time using FedEx office to office and it takes about 2-3 days to get there or here. Give them a try.

Cynthia said...

You captured the personality of this child. It's a wonderful image.

And you captured the mood of the little girl we see in profile. I love the gesture with the necklace.

Kathy said...

Before even reading the comments I was drawn in by her expression. She has a Mona Lisa like smile - she makes you think and wonder. You caught an amazing moment. congratulations!