Saturday, September 06, 2008

Yoga - WD40 for the Hips

This was a good week. I made it to this Yoga class three times. In this photo we are just coming into the class and getting ready to start. The whole time in the class is so important to me. I want to be able to stay in the flow of the class so I can't take any photos during the class. Besides I don't think any of the other people in the class would like it either. For me the whole time is a meditation.

Maybe seven or eight years ago, I mentioned to one of my daughters-in-law that I was thinking about taking a yoga class. Well, she jumped right on that and gave me my first sessions of yoga for a Christmas present. The woman who was teaching the class was about 10 years older than me and two of the women in the class were in their 80's and still riding horses. Wow, maybe yoga was the fountain of youth.

One of the reasons that I wanted to take yoga was that playing in the floor with the grandsons wasn't easy. Hard to get down there and hard to get up. Another reason was that I had spent so much time at a desk or in a car or airplane seat in the previous 15 years of working that my gettalong didn't always want to gettalong.

The yoga has been great. My hips don't hurt anymore, my legs feel free in the hip sockets. I'm more flexible all over even though a joint or two does creak sometimes. Another benefit has been better balance. Now before you start to think that I'm good at yoga, let me assure you that I'm not. I'm still taking a beginner class which suits me just fine.

I highly recommend yoga. Even it if isn't the fountain of youth, it sure makes the golden years better.

5 comments:

Frankly Ronda said...

Yoga is on my list of To Dos to make part of my regular life.

GlorV1 said...

I never tried Yoga, but I have thought of it, although I don't know if I can get on the floor, let alone get up. Good for you, and keep it up.

Steve Cotton said...

Maybe I should take a look at yoga. I fell at work on Thursday onto my left knee while hyperextending my right leg. This afternoon my knee feels as if a hot knife is sticking in it. Better yoga than surgery.

Heather said...

I've been doing yoga for about 8 years and it cured my sciatica I had after I had my daughter. I was in horrible pain, after 6 months of physical therapy, my doctor recommended a yoga class by a specific Iyengar yoga teacher and I felt 80% better after 1 month and 2 years later I got back the next 20%. I love to hear that they have yoga classes in San Miguel. I like to know that yoga is all over the world helping people live better lives.

Billie Mercer said...

For those of you thinking about trying Yoga....just do it! I don't think you'll be sorry. Steve I hope you knee is better by now.

Heather my original yoga teacher had some docs in her night class. I'm glad that they can see the benefits from yoga. You don't have to be athletic to do yoga.