Monday, August 04, 2008

Hasta Luego

We leave this morning for Guatemala. There are six of us meeting in Antigua tonight. One of us has traveled a lot in Guatemala and is an expert on their textiles. His knowledge should add a wonderful dimension to our travels.

I'm taking two holgas and lots of color film. I hope that I can get it hand checked at airport security. The plan is to use the holgas but chicken that I am I'm also taking the 5D with the BIG AND HEAVY 24-105 lens and the 24/2.8 lens. I love that lens. Although I'm getting advice pushing me to use the 5D, when I look back at what I consider my best work in the last 8 years, it is with the holga. I know, I know. I should go back and read my own blog entry, make the camera decision and let the right brain do it's thing.

It is hard to know what you need when you have never been to a place before. I looked through Flickr at Guatemala images. There are almost 400,000 images labeled Guatemala. While I didn't look at all of them, most are vacation images and some are very nice commercial quality travel photography. They are not what I want to do but then I really don't know what I'll find there. The real question is can I, can anyone, move beyond the tourist wall in a short time.

Taylor is a little nervous. He knows the drill with suitcases but over the years he has come to assume that he will be getting in the car too. Not this time. He is staying home with house sitters that he knows very well so I'm sure he will okay.

Today when I read through my regular blogs, I found that several of my favorite bloggers are taking some time off from blogging for vacations and such. Me too. I don't know if I will have the time or opportunity to post while I'm gone but I might. If I don't, hasta luego until the 15th.

10 comments:

John W said...

May you have a great trip, Billie. I hope you'll get a few minutes at a cybercafe for a short update or two. It's tough to post on the road--I know!

Babs said...

Antigua and everything else is going to "konck your socks" off!

Brenda Maas said...

Have a great trip.
Here is a linnk to a blog that you might enjoy when you return.
http://antiguadailyphoto.com/

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time and best of luck with both cameras. We'll miss you and will be waiting patiently (ha!) for your return.

Calypso said...

Looking forward to some great photos! Have a safe trip.

GlorV1 said...

Have a wonderul and safe trip. Oh poor Taylor, I am sure he will miss you much. Have fun.

Islagringo said...

Have a great trip! Can't wait to see Guatamala Holgasized!

YayaOrchid said...

Have a wonderful time on your trip. I too hope you get to post pics of your travel. We'll be looking forward to more of your posts.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. I was signed up for an art workshop in GUA in March and had to cancel. I'm looking at a textile tour in Nov and hope I can make it work. Can't wait to hear your tips.

Laura

Cynthia said...

Have fun! I know whatever camera you choose, you'll return with wonderful images.