Tuesday, January 08, 2008

In The Blink of an Eye

I had another birthday in December. They sure seem to come around often. But nevertheless, the birthday made me think about what it is like to grow older and maybe even some things I want to write about in the blog.

I think that as we age, maybe starting around 60, or when we start to lose dear friends and family who are in our age bracket, we become truly aware that death is a reality. Oh, I know that we know that when we are younger but at some point we "know" that there isn't as much time in front of us as there is behind us. That knowledge has made me live so much more in the moment, in the now. Cherishing family, health, friends and life....watching the gold fish, travel, quiet moments in the studio, making images. I cherish them because I know that in the blink of an eye, life can change.

Just this week, I learned that a friend has breast cancer, a child....a friend of two of the grandsons....was killed when a ATV rolled over on him, another friend is headed to Texas to help her friend whose car was rear-ended by someone going 100 mph. She and her grandchildren are in critical condition.

Although my fall and broken ankle happened in the blink of an eye, it is not a life changing event like those but it sure does make me acutely aware of my vulnerability. It makes me so thankful for my dear husband who has suddenly had to take on the roll of Nurse Neddie.

I saw the orthopedist yesterday and I now have an official cast on the ankle. It is a nice cornflower blue. I'm not in pain but he tells me I can not put any weight on that ankle for at least three weeks. I have crutches but I am so uncoordinated on them, I fear another fall especially since we have so many steps in this house. I'm sure I'll get better on them but it is so frustrating to know that you want something as simple as a tissue and the tissue box is on the cabinet across the room. So when I feel frustrated, I just have to stop and remind myself how minor this broken ankle is compared to what some people are facing today, everyday of their lives.

So my plan is to use these five weeks productively. I have some Photoshop tutorials I can study, I can scan more negatives. And in the blink of an eye (a long blink) the broken ankle will be healed. And thank you, dear readers for all your comments, emails and phonecalls.

3 comments:

Babs said...

hI bILLIE - fOR WAHT IT'S WORTH - WHEN i WAS "DOWN AND OUT" WITH THE KNEE THING - I TOLD MYSELF IT WAS GOD'S WAY OF MAKING ME SLOW DOWN, TAKE STOCK AND ENJOY THOSE THINGS - LIKE READING THAT I NEVER SEEMED TO HAVE TIME FOR - OR JUST SITTING AND LOOKING OUT AT THE FLOWERS! YOU'RE IN MY HEART AND THOUGHTS AND WISH I WAS GOING TO BE HERE TO HELP "NURSE NEDDIE".

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle but glad that you're otherwise OK.

Look on the bright side, though: your triceps will get a great workout while you use the crutches. :)

Billie Mercer said...

Well I needed some upper body strengthening. But I think it would have been better to join a gym.