Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Feature I Don't Like in Adobe Lightroom

Today I've been using Scott Kelby's book The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book to set up and learn more about using Lightroom. All was going well. I had set up the preferences and then decided to import a few images and see how it would work especially with my existing 3 year filing system for digital image files. Okay, so Lightroom uses dashes instead of underscores in dates....I can live with that but one of the features that I thought would be so great, isn't. At least not as it exists now.

You can set up preferences so that when you import images to your hard drive it will also put them on another drive like my external HD where I only store RAW files. The download, or maybe I should call it an "importation" while in Lightroom, was fast and smooth. I checked my internal HD and there the files were and then I checked the external HD and there they were BUT the folder was labeled "Imported on Tuesday, June 12, 2007."

"Imported on Tuesday, June 12, 2007" relates to nothing that is useful to me. I've always kept my images on the internal and external HD labeled the same. I could have been traveling for three days and have made the images on June 9, 10 and 11 but apparently when I import them and backup to the external HD they all get dumped into a folder based on the day they were imported. What would I have to do if I lost my internal HD and wanted to use my backup? I'd have a bunch of file names that really would not mean much to me.

I've checked the Adobe Lightroom forums to see if maybe I'm missing something but haven't found a way to change the name of the backup file. The only suggestion I found on the forums was to not use this feature. That does not make for a smooth workflow. Am I missing something? Has anyone found a solution? Could there be a fix coming in Version 1.1?

1 comment:

pitchertaker said...

Yeah, stuff like that is bugging me about LR, too. In fact, I just upgraded C1 LE on the Laptop for this coming trip. I have quit using LR, period. While I will d/l the upcoming upgrade, I don't think I will use it much.

P'taker