Friday, February 16, 2007

The Rising Sun

From my warm bed I opened my eyes and looked out the window. The sky was lighter but still dark, maybe cloudy gray. It seems like just a few minutes later I look again. The sky was stripes of fiery orange. Oh, my God! I jumped out of the bed, pulled on my house coat and slipped my feet into clogs and ran down the stairs, across the portico, and up the stairs to the studio. Took the camera out of the case, checked for memory card, then ran up the stairs to the third floor terrace. The fiery orange sunrise had faded to this shrimpy color and the blaze across a wide part of the sky had narrowed to this notch of the hillside. Two minutes, three minutes? All gone.

Still beautiful but not amazing. As my friend Pat use to say, "You snooze, you loose."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the damnedest thing - that running for the camera for a sunrise or set; had it happen too many times - but then how inspiring must that moment be to rush to capture it only to find it gone - kind of a pleasure in itself because we were there. ;-)

Juan

Just Me said...

What? You don't sleep with your camera? :)

I am always amazed as how quickly the sun falls out of the sky (for sunsets of course). Teaches one to carpe diem.