Sunday, August 20, 2006

Wish List

I've always loved books. Currently 21 books are on my Amazon Wish List. I was just studying the list. I've moved these to the top of the list:

Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Ouoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford
Not a cookbook but a story about being in a kitchen of a restaurant.

The Ongoing Moment by Geoff Dyer
Dyer is a self-styled cultural critic who turns his eye on photography. I've been told by some photographers who have read his book that although he is not a photographer or collector some of his associations and thoughts about the medium are thought provoking.

Mexican Days: Journeys into the Heart of Mexico by Tony Cohan
Cohan wrote on Mexican Time about his adventures in San Miguel. This book is about his travels into other parts of Mexico.

Houses: Proportion & Harmony by Fernando De Haro
My friend JD, who is an architect, loaned me this book before we left Houston. I loved it. It is about contemporary Mexican architecture. When JD loaned it to me he said, "I think you will like this book because you like a softer contemporary look." He was right. And the more I've thought about it, I think that is why I like Mexican contemporary so much, It really isn't minimal. It has color and warmth and a place to put wonderful Mexican folkart.

Sleeping by the Mississippi by Alec Sloth
I've seen some of the photographs from this book and I want to have it. What can I say....I can't buy all the photographs I like but if a book is published of the project, I can hold them all in my hands.

Photography: Essays in Defense of Traditional Values by Robert Adams
I get tired of much of contemporary cutting edge photography where shock value and degradation seems to be the key to acclaim. I like beautiful images so I'd like to read what Adams has to say.

Creating the Cult of St. Joseph: Art and Gender in the Spanish Empire by Charlene Villasenor Black
This one may be a little scholarly but I'm interested in the Spanish influence on art in Mexico as well as how Mexican art has developed. You might have to read the full review on this one to understand why I'm interested in it.

The good news is that you do not have to pay duty on books coming into Mexico. But you do have to pay Amazon for them. Let's see, which credit card should I use.

No comments: