Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Dinner on Wednesday


Roasted Pineapple Salsa
Originally uploaded by BillieS.
I cooked at home tonight.
_Roasted pineapple salsa
-Braised chicken breast with onion and garlic
_Lentils with Pineapple and plantain
_Zucchini with tomatoes, corn and Chipotle chile

The Lentils and Zucchini recipes are from "Recipes & Secrets from 'el Buen Cafe' cookbook".

When I went shopping today the pineapples were sending out an overpowering smell. I had to buy one but there are just two of us in the house So I started thinking of how I would use it.

Somewhere I had read about a recipe for a roasted pineapple and ???? Salsa....
Don't know where the recipe is but that doesn't stop me. I cut up some of the pineapple and put it in the oven to roast. Later I added serrano, onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt and a bit of pomegranate molasses. My son, the chef, says the pomegranate molasses should be a staple in every kitchen so I use it whenever I think there is a window of opportunity. Not too bad but the serrano is powerful.

The chicken recipe is nothing new but the other two side dishes to our dinner were. The lentil recipe has banana and pineapple in with the lentils....mmmm...not bad but I don't think this one is a keeper.

The zucchine recipe is one that you can play with on which veggies you put in but I think the next time I would use a serrano instead of a chipotle chili. Tomorrow what was left of it will go into a chicken soup.

Oh, exciting news, for the first time today I saw squash blossoms in the market. I'll be cooking something soon with them.

No comments: