Tuesday, June 08, 2010

It Is That Time of Year - SoFoBoMo

Solo Foto Book Month - SoFoBoMo. June 1st was the beginning of the two month period during which you can choose any contiguous 31 day period to photograph and make an on-line book. It is not a competition. It is a challenge for photographers to "just do it." Make a book. Finish a project. 

I did it last year. My book was Eastwood Today. Going into the two month time period I had several ideas and one of them immediately stepped forward and became THE book. Doing SoFoBoMo was hard work. The hardest part was the learning curve for designing the book. So now you would think that I have that part of the learning curve behind me but this year the problem seems to be settling on a project. 

I did a lot of shooting during our short time in New Orleans.  I was there. I was a tourist. I responded to the colors, especially in the Garden District. I could probably find 35 images out of the 350-400 images I shot to put in the book but this idea isn't exciting me. On the other hand, while I have time to do another project, I've have no ideas. At least not this morning.  The clock is ticking. tick . . . tick . . . tick.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I used inkobook, an online company to make several photobooks of Honduras and the latest was of Nola. My pics are so crappy compared to yours. I want to see more of your take on the Crescent City.

jennifer rose said...

Take a thin slice of some aspect of daily living in Mexico. Not just Mexican cooking, but something more narrow, like Meat in Mexico or aprons. Or even bread.

Billie Mercer said...

Laurie, two days and three nights isn't much time to get more than a quick glance at NOLA. Even if I don't make the book with the pixs, I'll post them on the blog from time to time.

Jennifer, good ideas but I think I must have the blahs.

Brenda Maas said...

I am sure something will come up when you least expect it and excite you into starting the project.
Good luck.

1st Mate said...

I wouldn't be surprised if you wake up in the middle of the night with an idea. Keep a scratchpad and pen by your bed, just in case. And good luck with it! Sounds like fun!

Tica Macha said...

I checked out Eastwood Today and was wondering why you chose to do it in B & W? Beautiful creation,
INSPIRING!

Billie Mercer said...

Tica, I chose to do Eastwood in B&W and also to give them a bit of a sepia tone to create the feeling that they are old houses. I hope that people get the feeling that they are looking at an old photograph of the house and then realize that it is a contemporary look at what the house is today.