Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Independence Day - Viva Mexico

There was some question about whether or not the San Miguel treasury had enough pesos to pay for the Independence Day Celebrations but everything seems to be going on schedule. Many events during the last week and last night was the Grito and fireworks. This morning was the parade although the endless groups of school children was much shorter than I remember in the past. This year I don't think that the parade included children from the campos. Maybe there wasn't enough money for the buses to bring them into town.

We did have the military in the streets with tanks and armored personnel carriers. This year I heard a few flutters of applause as they passed by and it just reminded me that I don't think I've ever heard the Mexicans cheer or clap when the military has been in a parade. Strange now that I think about it as compared to the way we Americans usually cheer on our troops.

And of course no Mexican parade would be complete without beauty queens and beautiful girls on horseback.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing these beautiful images.

Steve Cotton said...

You sophisticated mountain people have much better parades than your coastal cousins. I need to check on a cabin upgrade.

Billie Mercer said...

Cynthia, you are welcome.
Steve, No commitments. Just come for a visit. The next big event will be the weekend of October 2. The San Miguel Festival. It is lots of fun. Noisy but lots of fun.

Babs said...

I'm SO glad you're back photographing. I tried tonight at the reenactment of Hidalgo. My photos are laughable.

Yes, Steve come on over. These are the most magnificent festivities, in my opinion, of the year. They start the 29th and go til the 5th of October. Even the Voladeros are here!

Joan said...

I love the photos with their blur. I want to do that.

Billie Mercer said...

Joan, there are a couple of ways to do the blur if you are using a DSLR take a look at lensbaby.com or holgamods.com for a holga lens to attach to the camera.