Monday, January 19, 2009

The Splurge


When in Houston we have to try at least one of the new upscale restaurants. This time we went with our former next door neighbors to The Grove which has been open about one year. The Grove is the brainchild of Robert Del Grande. The chef is Robert Pera. The Grove is in downtown Houston in a new park called Discovery Green so the floor to ceiling windows look out on the green and a marvelous view of the skyscrapers of Houston.

The decor is contemporary with lots of blond wood, lime green leather chairs, low levels of light with directed spot lights just where you need them. There is a glass enclosed dining room with gorgeous chandeliers. The kitchen is open to the dining room via a long high bar. And really important to me is that the noise level was manageable. We were able to carry on a conversation without shouting at each other.

But the most important thing is the food. The reviews I've read about the restaurant are very mixed. Some people have had a bad experience and others loved it. We are on the "loved it" side. Our party decided to have the chef's menu. That was a great choice. I think we got to sample more than half of the things on the menu. That wasn't a single one that wasn't good, from the start with the deviled eggs to the tray of assorted desserts. If we go back I might have to choose two or three of the appetizers rather than an entree just so I can get a re-taste of my favorites.

The Grove's website calls the menu American Rustic but we called it delicious.

2 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Mmmm sounds good and now I am hungry. It looks like a real nice place. Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Thx for sharing. Great photo.

john said...

I'm gonna have to try it when I run up to Houston next week. I'm sure it'll perk up the usual med center tedium.