Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Houston is Green


While we are South of the border in high, dry San Miguel de Allende, I forget just how green everything is in Houston. But it is green and the trees are huge with spreading canopies that sprinkle the lawns and streets with shade. There are ferns, and flowers and vines and hostas and shrubs.....all shades of green.

Most homes and even office buildings have "front yards" that are open to the public. Houses are set back 25 feet or more from the street so you get this feeling of green space everywhere you go. This is one of the things that I miss while living in San Miguel where some houses have lovely gardens but they are behind walls so you only get a glimpse of them if you catch a door open.

And the varieties of plants that will grow in Houston's heat and humidity is amazing. I loved my garden here. I like our patio and terrace pots and plants but I just don't get as excited about gardening in San Miguel as I did in Houston.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lush photo. Looks like the banks of Buffalo Bayou along Memorial Drive. Spring is the most exciting outdoor time in Houston, when everything bursts forth.

San Miguel certainly has interesting, exotic, dry climate plants.

Bill O.

Billie Mercer said...

Bill O, you are correct. It is Buffalo Bayou along Memorial drive.

Cynthia said...

Great shot! I know what you mean about Houston-green. When I come home from SMA, I'm stunned by all the green and all the open spaces.

pitchertaker said...

Made me think of an old song by the NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS from the 60's --

NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS'

"Green, green, it's green they say
On the farside of the hill
Green, green, I'm going away
To where the grass is greener still."

You can hear it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NvLkBA9vsQ

P'taker