Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Don't Go To Mega

I just returned from shopping at the San Juan de Dios Mercado. I went to my usual two ladies for my vegetables. They helped me find the best of what I needed. As I was paying for my purchases one of them said to me, "Come here for your vegetables. Don't go to Mega." Maybe because I haven't been there since I broke my ankle they thought I had abandoned the Mercado for the big Mega Super Market. I assured them that I lived nearby in Colonia San Antonio and I'd be back.

I'm concerned for the vendors in the San Juan de Dios Mercado. The Mercado seems to have been shrinking even before Mega opened their doors but when I was there today it was almost deserted. Of course, it could be because it is Tuesday and it is also the big Tiangus where lots of Mexicans shop every week. When Walmart de Mexico opens the Bodega Aurrera on the Libramiento near the bus station, will they survive?

No comments: