Thursday, February 21, 2008

Using the Type Tool in Photoshop

Actually I wasn't using the type tool in Photoshop, I was trying to use it. I was following directions from Scott Kelby's book The Adobe Photoshop CS3 book for digital photographers on how to make a fine art poster. Everything went fine until I tried to add the type...no type would show up on the document. I tried everything I knew of to get it to work. I pulled out all my photoshop books looking for the answer. I tried again and again on different layers and on flattened images. I looked in Adobe's self-help articles. I asked on the Adobe forum. I asked friends. But they didn't know what my problem was. I must have spent 5 or 6 hours.....maybe more trying to figure this out. This morning I emailed my friend Frank Armstrong again about the problem. He wrote me back.......

Well, I don't know what to tell you. The attached was just written on a new blank document using the text tool in CS2. Set foreground color to black and the background of the new document to white. It printed.

BINGO! It wasn't like a light bulb going off in my head, it was like lightening. I had not set the foreground color to black and I was writing white on white so I couldn't see the text. The text tool was working just fine but my brain wasn't. Checking the background and foreground color is just something that becomes automatic when using many of the tools in Photoshop and certainly you would think that setting the color of text would also be a given.

This is one of those things that you do that is so stupid that you aren't sure whether to sweep it under the rug and never mention it again or to have a great big belly laugh and tell your friends so they'll get a laugh out of it too.

4 comments:

Jonna said...

I can't believe how many times I've done that. So many that I now immediately think that is what is wrong when I don't see the type. In fact, I was thinking "white type" when reading your post. I am actually thrilled that I'm not the only one. :)

Billie Mercer said...

Jonna, Bless you. No wonder I feel like I know you! hahahaha
I still can't believe that I didn't think of the color of the type....just too simple I guess.

pitchertaker said...

I feel that if Billie and I didn't have each other to bounce stuff like this off each other, neither of us would have ever learned Photoshop. I remember well the time I had to ask Billie why my cursor was a crosshair rather than the brush size I had selected. She politely ask, "Do you have your caps lock on?" Well, DUH, yes. I couldn't do this without her....ya' know?

P'taker

Billie Mercer said...

You know what the problem is? Photoshop is just too picky. It has no intution. Doesn't have fuzzy logic. Can't play well with others.....

Thank God for friends who can help. Jonna, you have been added to the PS help list.