Wednesday, September 26, 2007

An Evening to Remember

Readers.....sorry I haven't posted in a week but I've been on the move in Texas.

First I want to tell you about the Evening of Fine Art at the Federal Reserve Bank in Houston. It was marvelous. I'm so honored to be a part of their art collection and I had no idea of the scope of the collection.

The building is near downtown on Allen Parkway with an unbroken view of the Houston skyline. Designed by the architect Michael Graves who made sure that you were able to see the downtown of the fourth largest city in the USA. Not from walls of glass sheathing like so many contemporary buildings but from spaces framed by the skeleton of the building. The Tuesday night of the event, Houston had a clear blue sky that gradually darkened to a deep velvety navy blue. The buildings reflected the gold and salmon setting sun and the lights inside offices were like twinkling Christmas lights. It was quite a backdrop to the Reception.

It is as if the building was built for art and actually the architects worked closely with the art consultant to be sure that the art contributed to the ambiance of the building. I found my four pieces in the Brazos Room. It is a large conference/dining room and the pieces were well-lit and I was almost in tears to see them in their "home."

The collection is built primarily around Houston artist although there are certainly some wonderful pieces by some other Texas artists. Just to give you some idea of who is included in the collection........Ellen Frances Tuchman, Karin Broker, Benito Huerta, Leamon Green, Robyn O'Neil, Geoff Winningham, Al Souza and Dixie Friend Gay.....but that isn't the whole list by any means.

As we would say here in Texas.....and I know I'm bragging but I have to tell you that I was "walking in tall cotton." This was definitely an Evening to Remember.

3 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Congratulations, I am sure that you have earned and deserve it.

Babs said...

Wow Billie, what an honor! Isn't it wonderful when our experiences exceed our expectations.......I'm thrilled for you.

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

I hope to be able to see the work someday. It sounds like you're really pleased with the installation, as well as the company you're in. Can't beat that. Congrats! You go, girl.