Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Checking out Houston

Yesterday, after we unloaded our stuff at the condo we headed off to Goode Company Seafood for some Gumbo. I miss Cajun food in San Miguel. Yesterday's weather, damp and a bit chilly, was perfect for Seafood Gumbo. Shrimp, crab and oysters in a roux rich broth. Delicious.

Then a stop at the grocery store for some basic supplies. I can't get English muffins in San Miguel so of course, they were in the basket. So was Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. Blue Bell beats Hagen Daz or Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Not just a little better but amazingly better.

Last night, fortunately for me, was a meeting of a group of photographers who get together every month to share what they are working on. They invited me to join them. It was nourishment for my soul. Several of them were trying something new. Another had matted prints from a project he had been working on. I had made some 13x19 prints of work that I've done over the last 3 1/2 years in our old Houston neighborhood.

Today was shopping and then meeting Guy and Debbie for dinner at one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants, Patrenella's. Great conversation.

I'm so glad we don't have a house in Houston because this trip is really like a vacation. No worrying about the garden, or burned out lights, or cleaning. Just time to shop, visit with family and friends, and check out some of our favorite places in Houston.

No comments: