Friday, July 14, 2006

The Mercado

Yesterday was a walk into town to go to the big Mercado. I love the walk through the market. No frozen or canned foods here. Just fresh vegetables and meats.

Today Carol Schmidt sent a link to an article in the San Antonio Express about the big market in town and the Tuesday Tiangus up by the highway. I don't know how long the link will work since sometimes you can only access an article in a newspaper for a day or two but Ron Bechtol's writing describes these markets better than I can.

And now a confession. We have never been to the Tuesday Tiangus. I have friends who tell me that you can go and dig through piles of clothes on the ground and you might find a designer blouse or that some vendors sell mace. But they also say you need to watch out for pickpockets. Somehow, fending off pickpockets or finding a designer blouse in a pile of clothes on the ground have never been high on my list of activities on a Tuesday, but I may have to go. I'm also hearing that the fish there is very fresh. Besides, I think I just need to take in the sights and the smells. Oh, and I'll take my camera along too.

No comments: