Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Will I Grow Tired Of................

We have traveled in Mexico for over 20 years. We have lived here most of the time for 4 years. I am still in love with San Miguel. But I sometimes wonder if I will grow tired of:

Fireworks often and at any time of the day or night.
Lovers on our front steps.
Roosters crowing and not just to welcome the dawn.
Vendors in trucks announcing their wares with horns, blasting music and shouts.
Open windows.
Church bells.
Going up.....stairs and hills (doesn't seem like you ever go down).
Processions, festivals and parades.
Not understanding the culture most of the time.
Buying groceries everyday.
Food vendors on every street.
Taco and tamale stands that appear at the houses on our street.
Dinner parties and good conversation.
Kids playing under the open windows.
Cold weather without Central Heat.
Hot weather without Air Conditioning.
Always seeing friends when you walk into town.
Walking everywhere.
Color everywhere...Vermilion to gold stucco against deep blue skies.
Small town gossip and rumor.

And my list goes on and on.

Anything you want to add?

So far all of these things are positive. They connect me to this place. They enrich my spirit and add flavor to my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too much to hear, tell, taste, feel and do to get tired of anything except the doing and what a great place to rest. Enjoy and don't worry.

Juan Calypso

Anonymous said...

Billie,

Forgive me, but I worry about the rapes that you reported, and the lack of interest on the part of either police force. Please take good care of yourself and Ned.

Jerry

Billie Mercer said...

Jerry, I hear what you are saying but in Houston last Feburary and March there were 4 rapes in one apartment complex....I've been gone so I don't know if the rapist has been caught. The murder rate is soaring in Houston. More than one a day.

I guess I'm getting more of a Mexican attitude about the rock and bottle throwing brawl in our street. The neighbors got up the next morning and swept up glass. The young men sobered up and went back to work. Life goes on.

I'm not saying that the situation in Mexico couldn't deteriorate but I haven't made a commitment to live there for the rest of my life. I have a choice. I can come back to the USA.

Billie Mercer said...

Jerry, I hear what you are saying but in Houston last Feburary and March there were 4 rapes in one apartment complex....I've been gone so I don't know if the rapist has been caught. The murder rate is soaring in Houston. More than one a day.

I guess I'm getting more of a Mexican attitude about the rock and bottle throwing brawl in our street. The neighbors got up the next morning and swept up glass. The young men sobered up and went back to work. Life goes on.

I'm not saying that the situation in Mexico couldn't deteriorate but I haven't made a commitment to live there for the rest of my life. I have a choice. I can come back to the USA.

Anonymous said...

Dear Billie -

Hello. I've enjoyed reading your blog. I hope you don't mind but I, too, wanted to ask you about the crime situation in San Miguel and the terrible thing that happened to your friend. Has anyone been apprehended yet? I was concerned to hear about the four assaults - (i) because, of course, it's terrible; but also (ii) because I've been considering moving to San Miguel next year for six months or so. I wanted to rent somewhere by myself and use the town as a writer's reteat, but as i'm a 31-year-old female, I'm currently reconsidering.

Any advice/news you can offer will be gratefully accepted.