Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

I think we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but I have to tell you getting ready to leave this house is a lot of hard physical work. We have the artwork wrapped in stretch wrap and ready to go the the storage unit. The Mexican dishes that we will keep are packed. My photography books are in boxes. I think we ended up with about 16 boxes of books. Boxes of prints are ready to go to storage. Some pieces of furniture are definitely being kept and stored...not many but a few and then there are some other pieces of furniture that we can't decide whether we are keeping or selling. But most stuff has been sorted into the categories: going to San Miguel or storage or sons or estate sale or dumpster.

The Estate Sale people have been here pricing stuff. They seem to have a good handle on the prices but I couldn't believe it when I pulled out a decanter and four small cordial glasses. I've had it forever but the lemony color didn't quite go with my current color scheme so it was stuck back in a cabinet. As soon as they saw it they said, "Oh, vasoline glass....and that color is very in." I didn't even know what vasoline glass was. I just bought the set 35 years ago because I liked it. But apparently it and a small signed sculpture that I have are now collectables.

At this point it is very messy in this house. Every surface seems covered with something. It is hard to find a place to sit down to eat. I miss the artwork on the walls, the pillows on the couch. In a way I wish I could have just enjoyed the house as it was until we walked out the door but then it might have been hard to leave. Trust me, by the time we are out of here in another couple of weeks, I will definitely be ready to move on.

No comments: