Thursday, February 09, 2006

Sopa del Dia

We had soup for comida. I made it yesterday afternoon. It was some of the best soup I've made recently. It was basically a vegetable soup in a chicken stock with some nice little pieces of chicken.

The wings and boned chest cavity of a large chicken (or could be a couple of thighs)
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon salt

Cover with water then cover the pot and cook over low heat for an hour or so. Let cool and pull all the meat from the bones and return it to the stock.

2 small zucchinis quartered lengthwise and sliced in 1/4 inch dice.
1 or 2 carrots cut in dice similar to zucchini and so that you have a similar amount to the zucchini.

Add to stock and cook over low heat until they are almost tender.

Add one roasted poblano that is cut into 1/2 inch pieces. I make these ahead and wrap each individually and freeze them so that I have them to add to many dishes....after all we are in Mexico.
1 small can of corn or like amount of frozen corn...must be 1/2 to 3/4 cup of corn.

Cook until all is tender. If the liquid has cooked down add some canned chicken broth.
Add more salt and pepper as needed. Try substituting Caldo de Pollo for salt.

Serve in bowls and garnish with diced avocado and cubes of ranchero cheese.
This will make about 4 to 6 servings.

No....I don't know how much water I added at the beginning nor do I know how much chicken broth I added at the end but I had a pot full of soup. And no.....I don't have pictures of it either. I was so tired and hungry, I forgot and just ate my soup. But I assure you it was good and it was pretty. I especially liked the aroma and taste that the poblano pepper added.

No comments: