Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Preventative/preventive

While writing today's blog on Crime in Paradise, I started wondering if I was using the right word. "Preventative" Police. I looked it up via google.

preventive or preventative
The words are often used interchangeably to denote whatever prevents something else happening or occurring, especially when it is undesirable. However, preventative is often applied to an actual object, especially in noun form, while preventive is mostly reserved for an abstract concept, and remains an adjective: Preventive medicine regards vitamin C as an effective preventative against colds.


Mmmm.....I think I've been using the wrong word. So any English teachers that read my blog, please don't put too many red circles around the word on your monitors. Remember that the "preventative and preventive" are also used interchangeably.

The dreaded red marks of English teachers may have kept me from writing for a long time. And I like to write. I've gradually overcome the fear of a grammar or spelling mistake. Now that I'm not writing for anyone but myself in my blog or journal, I just write. Sometimes when I go back and read I realize that I've mixed tenses of verbs and I don't always write a complete sentence and sometimes clauses are in the wrong place. You know what, sometimes I just leave it. It just "feels" more like the way I talk.

No comments: