Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

It is a beautiful morning here in central Mexico. The sun is shining, blue sky and for the first morning in a week or so, we see less haze or fog out toward the mountains to the north. Although it is chilly this morning, it is going to warm up fast. A hot air balloon went over about 30 minutes ago. I'm sure they were getting an amazing view of the town.

At this point, I'm wishing I had decorated the house for Christmas. The extent of my decorating was a Nacimiento. Oh, I bought some shiny paper ball/streamer things that I thought I would put on the light fixture over the dining room table but somehow it just didn't seem to be the thing to do. I didn't want to do a Christmas tree. Until we went over to our friends the Lewis' before we went out for dinner this week, I wasn't inspired at all to decorate. But Patricia had garlands and candles on her mantel and lots of candles around the house. That felt very nice and in the spirit of Christmas. If we are here next year, I'll do more.

I've got some cooking to do today. I've already sent some cookies over the Cervantes family and I want to make some banana nut bread for the old couple who also live across the street. We are going to a cocktail party and then to a dinner party tonight and I want to make a baked goody to take to our hosts. I also need to prep for the things I'll be taking to a brunch tomorrow. I'll be in the kitchen as usual on a Christmas Eve but it won't be the same as many years past where I was preparing food for 15+ on Christmas Day and also a Christmas Eve dinner for all who were around.

This is a very different Christmas for us. The first time we haven't been with family. That part is sad. On the other hand, we are getting to see another culture's way of celebrating the holiday and we are with many friends. But it is kind of like I'm looking at Christmas from the outside instead of being in the center.

Well it is time to get busy on that banana nut bread. To all my readers, I hope your cooking goes well and that family and friends arrive safely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Mi Amiga!
It is a better year for having met you. We hope you and Ned have a wonderful 'new' Christmas experience in Mexico.
Feliz Navidad,
The Calypso Family