Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Los Dias de Muertos



The Days of the Dead are celebrated with a mixture of reverence for the departed, revelry to make them happy upon their return, and mockery to defy the fear of death itself.

This quote is from Rosalind Rosoff Beimler's book The Days of the Dead/Los Dias de Muertos. I think it is one of the best descriptions I've read. And if you are interested in Mexican culture, this book should really be on your bookshelf.

The images in this post were made in Yucatan. We were in villages in Yucatan several times during the Day of the Dead festivities. Each area of Mexico seems to have their own way of remembering their dead relatives.

I've been photographing here in San Miguel de Allende also, and I'll post some of those images in the next day or so. But I'm headed for the cemetery again this morning.


No comments: