Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Picture is worth.......

Are you tired of seeing the same film bites over and over and over on TV? I am. I've wondered if it isn't possible for them to be shooting new film or don't the networks have cameras stationed anywhere but overpasses or the tops of buildings. The images are becoming boring but the situation is compelling and my heart goes out to the plight of these people.

Today my friend Frank sent a URL to images from The Times-Picyuane newspaper in New Orleans. I have been going through the galleries of images and I'm overwhelmed with emotion. For me these individual images capture the situation in New Orleans better than all of the film bites on TV. I ask myself why. Is it because I am a photographer? Is it because I have time to study the image rather than just have it flash by on the screen? Is it because each of them captures a "decisive moment." Is it because the photographers are more talented than the cameramen....maybe I should say camera persons to be PC. Is it because of the quality of the image, good composition and amazingly real color that has a sense of depth and reality to it, a depth of field that has a perception of place and vision? I think it is all of those things.

If you want to see the last week in New Orleans take a look. Let me know if you agree that it is much different and more compelling than our TV reruns.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Billie:

I plan on taking the laptop to class on Wednesday and let the students see and discuss the images from the Times-Picayune. As you stated, they are so much better than anything I've seen on TV. Should be a interesting day.

Pitchertaker (Frank)

Anonymous said...

Ah, I can be anonymous and it does work. Just call me "operator error", hee, hee....