Thursday, September 15, 2005

It's a Small, Small World

Yesterday, at Rancho Calypso Juan wrote a nice piece about the Mexican images of Steve Bridger, blogger of the website MexicanWave and myself. Juan and I've have been writing back and forth since we found each other's blogs several months ago so Juan said he hoped it would be okay to call me an amiga. I wrote back that I had made lots of cyber-friends over the last 12+ years and now he was one of them. Steve wrote that he could be an amigo too. Steve also said that I should tell the story of how we met for the second time in April of this year. It is a pretty good story.

Right after we bought our house three years ago, we had friends come to San Miguel de Allende to see us. They fell in love with San Miguel too and decided that they would like to come back and stay longer. We contacted one of the many rental agents here in San Miguel and they looked at several houses including one on Clavel that we have rented several times here in Colonia San Antonio. When we went to show them the house on Clavel, we met the young family who were currently renting the house. I remember that he was from England or Australia and she was from Mexico....somewhere close San Miguel. The baby was precious.

Fastforward three years. I've joined Flickr which is a web hosting site for photographs. Not only do I have my images there but I can go searching for other photographers who have photographs on subjects that interest me. Well of course I go looking to see who else is photographing in Mexico. Actually, I'm not sure if I found Steve or he found me but we became a mutual admiration society because we had both photographed so many of the same places in Mexico. In our emails I found out that he was from England, that he had spent some time in San Miguel three years ago, that he had a Mexican wife whose family lived near to San Miguel and a daughter close to 4 years old.

You know how it is in the comic strips when suddenly there is a light bulb above the person's head. Well, I'm sure you could have seen one above mine. I asked, "Did you rent a house in Colonia San Antonio on Clavel?" Steve replied, "Uh, yes" I reminded him about the visitors that came to look at the house while he was there. It was one of those "Oh, my God" moments. Separated by three years and the Atlantic ocean and suddenly we were connecting again.

What was really neat about our connection is that Steve and his family that now included another daughter were coming back to San Miguel for another visit. We had the opportunity to visit several times while they were here for a month or so. Steve and Gicela are definitely our English/Mexican friends now.

Through the internet I've made new friends and reconnected with old ones. It is a small, small world, isn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very cool story. The world is a very small place.

Anonymous said...

Gotta go with Heather here - it IS a small World and that is so cool - now if we could all embrace PEACE or something like it ;-)

Calypso JUAN

Anonymous said...

Hello. I just wanted to give a quick greeting and tell you I enjoyed reading your material.